Charity and Volunteering
ZIWA in the community
ZIWA has always actively participated in charitable activities throughout its history, organising different fundraising events and activities that have proved to be very successful.These charity projects were supported in the past by a Board initiative. More recently, individual Interest Groups have organised charity ventures.
Here are listed some of the Charities we have supported during the years:
- in the year 2001 Kids Kidney Care www.kkc.ch
- in the year 2005/6 Hospiz Zürcher Lighthouse www.hospiz.ch
- in the year 2006/7 Swiss AIDS Care International www.swissaidscare.ch
- in the year 2007/8 Right To Play www.righttoplay.com www.righttoplay.ch
- from 2007-2010 Stiftung Frauenhaus Zürich www.frauenhaus-zuerich.ch
- in the year 2010 The Samantha Dickson Trust was supported by the Calendar Girls show produced by the On Stage group. http://braintumourtrust.co.uk/
- in the year 2011 Dr. Baumgartner's Comprehensive Community Based Rehabilitation in Tanzania (CCBRT) was supported by the Talent for Tanzania Show produced by the On Stage group. www.ccbrt.or.tz
- in the year 2012 The Japanese Red Cross was supported by the Japan a Year Later Art Auction organized by the On Stage group. www.jrc.or.jp/english
Calendar Girls show
Walk for Charity
ZIWA is independent and does not endorse the views of any political, religious, or charitable organisation, association or group and does not affiliate itself with nor is linked to any religious, political, or charitable organisation, association, or group.
Volunteering in the wider community
ZIWA is a voluntary organisation, but our recent initiative also enables our members to get involved in community projects and organisations in the Zürich area.
ReachOut - to integrate is to participate
Inspiring our members to get involved in and contribute to Swiss society is only the beginning of this initiative. The ReachOut team helps members to find the right opportunity to take part in voluntary projects by donating their time and talents in the right place, such as the Swiss Red Cross, Terre des Hommes and the Kinderspital Zürich.
ReachOut news is featured in our monthly newsletter, ZIWA News, on the ZIWA Message Board and in special web features from time to time.
Recent ReachOut projects:
- June 2009 Workshop in Spanish by Cristina Kubler: 'Bloom, where you are planted'
- October 2009 Terre des Hommes, ZIWA stand in Wädenswil -- Stars action
- March 2010 ZIWA stand at the Wädenswil Frühlingsmarkt
- March 2010 Terre des Hommes, ZIWA stands in Thalwil, Oberrieden and Richterswil for the Oranges action
English In Action - English Around the World
Feedback to ReachOut suggested that educational projects for children would be the most popular form of volunteering for ZIWA members. The Happiness Challenge initiative was launched in Wädenswil in May 2011. The Canton of Zürich and Jugendarbeit Wädenswil supported the project financially.
Please find more information about English In Action 2011 and English Around the World 2012.
Operation Flying Croissant (in collaboration with Rotaract)
ZIWA's ReachOut has joined forces with the local Rotaract club to organise "Operation Flying Croissant". Every Thursday evening two volunteers visit four different bakeries in the Kreuzplatz area in Zürich, just as they are closing, to collect bakery products left over from the day's sale. They then deliver the bakery goodies to local social centres and accommodation refuges supported by charity. It's as simple as that!
One volunteer is the driver in their car; the other acts as helper. You put your name on the list as driver or helper, on Thursday evenings to suit you, as often as you like. You get to meet members of Rotaract, and at the same time you reach out to members of society who are less fortunate than yourself. It's fun, easy and worthwhile.
If you want to reach out and join "Operation Flying Croissant" or just want to know more before committing yourself, then take a look at www.flyingcroissant.ch. You can also read this report.
Would you like to help? Let us know your skills and availability by contacting us here: email@example.com
Helping ourselves by helping others
Launch of the ReachOut initiative
ZIWA stand - Terre des hommes